For tips in preventing identity theft and online scams, see the StaySafeOnline.org article Hackers Love the Holidays Too: How to Protect Yourself from Information and Identity Theft, summarized here.
- Avoid making purchases when using public Wi-fi.
- Never clicks links in unexpected, unusual or out-of-character emails - navigate to the web site directly from your browser. Just because an email looks like it is from someone you know doesn't mean it is legitimate.
- Never download or open attachments sent to you in email.
- Use anti-virus software and activate the firewall on your operating system.
- Delete unused accounts on web e-commerce and other sites where possible.
Remember: Stop. Think. Do not click.