It saddens us all greatly to witness the tragedies that unfolded in the Orlando area this week. As humans, we all want to do what we can to help. Being a good distance away from the scene, often our assistance is provided through funding various support and recovery efforts.
However, be aware that after any large-scale event like this one, often the con artists are the first to set up shop. Don’t give money to just anyone. Instead:
- Stay on the alert and be safe online.
- Be wary of crowd-funding web sites.
- Be on the lookout for fraudulent charitable organization web pages (check URLs carefully).
- Validate the organization that you donate to—do your research first; ask how they intend to spend the money.
- Don’t click links in emails or text messages you receive asking you to give; instead, you navigate to the charity of your choice.
- Always: check URLs, verify message senders, and think before you click.